In this episode, we are going to explore how we can integrate technology in classroom to cultivate life skills for special young adults (Age 16 -18). And we are really lucky to have Tarja Tolonen to join us today.
Tarja is a Finnish special education lecturer at Savo Vocational College. She has extensive experience in early education , adult education and special education. She is Apple Distinguished Educator since 2015 (ADE). As an ADE, she is a trusted advisor in integrating technology into learning environments and passionate about sharing her expertise in using technology to help engage students in new ways with other educators around the globe.
Connected with Tarja:
Twitter | Facebook
Acast | Apple Podcast | Google Podcast | Spotify | Stitcher | Youtube
Show Notes with Selected Links
- [1:40] Tarja’s journey into special education for young adults.
- [3:05] Why does Tarja think special education requires creative teaching?
- [3:48] When Tarja just started to teach, what was the classroom she wanted to create? Is it changed throughout these years?
- [5:50] What is the moment that changed Tarja’s mindset that she doesn’t need to know everything in teaching?
- [7:03] What does Telma education look like in Savo Vocational College?
- [9:19] How does Telam tailor the curriculum for different individual needs?
- [12:09] As a technology integration advocator, what is the one technologies Tarja used the most in her classroom for communication?
- [15:13] How do these apps help the students to communicate?
- [17:28] What do students do with book creator app in the classroom?
- [20:32] There is an interesting Facebook video post from Tarja that trying to use filter for people with speech disabilities. What inspired Tarja to do that?
- [22:35] Tarja’s favorite app for virtual learning environment.
- [26:05] The proportion of nurses and special young adults in a classroom.
- [26:37] Books that influenced Tarja a lot in these few years.
- [27:48] What does education mean to Tarja personally?
- [29:25] Parting thoughts
Please go here
- Do you use any technology in your own classroom? What do you think the role technology plays in teaching and learning?
What can you do tomorrow
- Try out Book Creator app to help your students to build their own cooking book, personal interests..etc with vivid pictures.
Song Tracks Credits
- Opening & Ending: Smiling at the Sun by Sirus Music
- The breaks in the middle