In this episode, we will be exploring social emotional learning with brain science and what strategies we can apply in the classroom based on science. We are really happy to have wonderful Andrea Samadi joining us.
Andrea Samadi, is a former middle school teacher who began working with success and social and emotional learning principles with students in the late 1990s. Andrea’s book Level Up: A Brain-Based Strategy to Skyrocket Student Success and Achievement using the latest research to help others increase their learning potential. She is also the founder of Achieveit360 which offers programs, grounded in brain-based research and practical neuroscience, helps parents, teachers, coaches and employees to optimize learning, well-being and achievement at home, school or the workplace.
Connect with Andrea:
Website | Twitter
Acast | Apple Podcast | Google Podcast | Spotify | Stitcher | Youtube
Show Notes with Selected Links
- [01:42] How did social emotional learning come to Andrea?
- [07:05] Other than academic improvements after social emotional learning, what behaviors change did Andrea find in these kids?
- [10:05] Why did neuroscience become Andrea’s passion?
- [12:43] What neuroscience has found the relationship between brain and social emotional learning?
- [16:06] Andrea once said that based on research, when students perceive that their teacher knows them both academically and personally, they are better positioned to take ownership of their learning. What do kids’ brains happen as they have this perception and thus impact their attitude in learning?
- [19:45] How could we help students to be more self-aware?
- [25:08] What tips would Andrea give if a teacher wants to teach self regulation in her classroom?
- [28:19] Given that our brains develop differently at different ages, does the approach or goal for self-awareness or self-regulation differ in different age groups?
- [31:10] How does Andrea find the practical resource in this giant pool of knowledge? Is there any particular journal, website or organization Andrea tap into constantly?
- [34:50] Books that influenced Andrea’s core values a lot.
- [38:25] If Andrea has a superwoman power, what does she want to change in education system?
- [41:48] Parting thoughts
Please go here
- Have you ever yelled at your students? What reactions did you get from your students?
What can you do tomorrow
- Create a calm down corner for your classroom. Check out this practical guide here.
- Try out learning stations with your students. Here are some guidance to follow:
Song Tracks Credits
- Opening & Ending: Smiling at the Sun
- The breaks in the middle,