“We help model for our students so that they can use social media to develop a positive digital identity, understand the audience, use their voices for change, use their voices to connect with others.” – Jennifer Casa-Todd
How much time do you spend on social media daily? How about your students or kids? It is hard to deny that social media is more and more ubiquitous. And today we have Jennifer Casa-Todd who is specializing in social media in K-12 context to guide us about teaching kids to become not only a digital citizen but also a digital leader.
Jennifer Casa-Todd is an award-winning educator, wife, mom, Teacher-Librarian at Cardinal Carter CHS in Aurora and a former Literacy Consultant for the York Catholic District School Board. She is also the author of the book, Social LEADia which gives out practical tips for moving students from digital citizenship to digital leadership. Jennifer is passionate about showing teachers and students how they can use technology and social media to make the world a better place.
Connect with Jennifer:
Website | Twitter
Acast | Apple Podcast | Google Podcast | Spotify | Stitcher | Youtube
Show Notes with Selected Links
- [01:48] What is the story behind that made Jennifer to dedicate your energy in social media education?
- [04:00] For educators who have negative impression on social media for kids, how does Jennifer think the educators should rethink social media in education?
- [05:58] By law, under 13 years old cannot use social media. Is this applying to all countries?
- [09:12] What is digital citizenship about?
- [10:20] What are the ways a teacher can teach digital citizenship in the classroom?
- [11:50] Teaching digital citizenship should be an ongoing conversation.
- [14:12] From George Couros, Digital Leadership is “using the vast reach of technology and social media to improve the lives, circumstances and well-being of others”. For Jennifer, what is digital leadership specifically and why does Jennifer think we should not only be a digital citizenship but also a digital leadership?
- [17:45] An example how Jennifer nurtured digital leadership in her own classroom.
- [19:46] Any tips for a teacher to build a lesson plan for digital leadership learning?
- [22:45] How a teacher can connect students with meaningful projects and people?
- [28:39] How does the mentoring work in digital world?
- [31:57] Books that have influenced Jennifer thinking a lot in the past few years.
- [33:36] If Jennifer has a super woman power to change one thing in the education system in Canada, what would it be?
- [35:26] Parting thoughts
Please go here
- How do you teach your kids the usage of social media?
- Are you the role model for your kids as being a digital citizenship?
What can you do tomorrow
Song Tracks Credits