This episode is all about cultivating our young readers. I’m really happy to have Elisa Guerra joining me who is a well-known expert in early childhood development.
Elisa Guerra is the founder and teacher at Colegio Valle de Filadelfia . It is a school for (PreK -9th), helping students achieve their fullest potential. Her school model has been replicated in 11 campuses and 5 Latin American countries. She was one of the TOP50 finalists for the GLOBAL TEACHER PRIZE in both 2015 and 2016. This award has been called the “Nobel Prize” for Teaching.
Elisa has authored many great books for teaching. For example, “Learning to read at 3: Doman Method applied in the Preschool Classroom” . This book has been, consistently, first placed in sales in Amazon Mexico. The most recent book of hers is Hope where are you? is the story of six children around the world who are experiencing school closures because of the pandemic. The book is free and has more than 30 languages.
Connect with Elisa Guerra:
Facebook | Twitter | Website | Instagram
Show Notes with Selected Links
- [01:45] The story that drove Elisa to become a teacher even though her initial dream was being a writer.
- [06:57] For Elisa, what are the good reading habits ?
- [09:19] What is the Philadelphia Method?
- [13:52] How does the Philadelphia method align with how our brain functions?
- [18:58] Examples of incorporating The Philadelphia Method into classroom.
- [24:14] How do we connect meaning with the words? Do we put the pictures beside the words on the cards?
- [28:19] Tips to help teachers motivating kids to love reading intrinsically
- [31:31] Inspiration behind Elisa’s book series “Around the World”
- [33:59] Books that influenced Elisa a lot in the past few years.
- [36:08] Parting thoughts
- How do you teach your students to read? Do you use phonetic method? How do you connect meaning with words?
- How many students of yours love reading?
What can you do tomorrow
- Create your word cards for your students.
- No pictures on the cards.
- Present the pictures or the physical things to your kids to connect the meaning with words in other section.
- Show the flash cards 3 times a day in short duration.
Please go to [TBD]
Song Tracks Credits
- Opening & Ending: Inspiration written by Rafael Krux. Positive, uplifting and inspiring track suitable for commercials and advertising.
- The breaks in the middle
What is your favorite idea from this episode? Please let me know in the comment section! 您在這集中有哪個最喜歡的點子嗎？歡迎在以下留言與我分享！