Maarit Rossi was a Finnish Math teacher and principal. She is one of the top 10 finalists in Global Teacher Prize 2016. Maarit is driven to prove that math is not boring but stimulating and meaningful; Her students often learn outside the classroom by taking unconventional approaches to real-life problems.
She has authored nine Math text books, several pedagogic articles and publications.
Besides lecturing and training teachers around the world, she is also the CEO of Paths to Math. “Paths to Math” is an e-Learning Math material that helps teachers to build an innovative, challenging and student centered learning environment for the grades 6 to 9.
Connect with Maarit Rossi:
Facebook | Twitter | Website | Youbute
Acast | Apple Podcast| Google Podcast | Spotify | Stitch |Youtube
Show Notes with Selected Links
- [1:37] What is the difference between these two Math class drawings? One is you first took over their math class and the other one is after 3 years you taught them. What is the reason or motivation behind that you want them to draw a math class?
- [5:07] What do you think the key components for building a student-centered learning environment?
- [8:20] An example how Maarit guides students to discuss and talk in the classroom.
- [12:30] Social interaction is important for more active learning. Any tips you would give teachers to facilitate social learning?
- [14:35] When you were teaching, how do you find the ideas from real world that you can incorporate in your math class?
- [17:50] How should assessment change?
- [21:32] How did you see a student’s learning progression in their portfolio and 1-1 conversation?
- [24:00] Now it is Covid-19 , how can teachers make math interesting and engaging in distance learning?
- [27:40] What drove you to build this Path to Math?
- [30:54] Examples about how a teacher can plan their personalized learning course with Path to Math
- [33:33] Any books that changed your thinking a lot in the past few years
- [36:28] For a baby teacher, what is the one piece of advice you would give to them?
- [37:34] Parting thoughts
- Any real life examples you can think of to incorporate in your class like waste management? (In math class, ask student to calculate their waste daily. )
- Any activities you did in the class that made your students to move and talk.
What can you do tomorrow
- Ask your students to draw the subject class you teach in to learn how they think of the class. Is it engaging?
- If your student has learning profolio, have a 1-1 conversation with them to understand their learning deeper. For example, we can ask students what is the project they enjoyed the most and why.
Please go to here. [TBD]
What is your favorite idea from this episode? Please let me know in the comment section! 您在這集中有哪個最喜歡的點子嗎？歡迎在以下留言與我分享！